Maastricht sexdating2 nl
According to Gregory of Tours it was bishop Monulph who, around 570, built the first stone church on the grave of Servatius, the present-day Basilica of Saint Servatius.The city remained an early Christian diocese until it lost this position to nearby Liège in the early 8th century.Merovingian coins minted in Maastricht have been found in many places throughout Europe.In the 10th century Maastricht briefly became the capital of the duchy of Lower Lorraine.Unlike most Dutch towns, Maastricht did not receive city rights at a certain date. In 1204 the city's dual authority was formalised in a treaty, with the prince-bishops of Liège and the dukes of Brabant holding joint sovereignty over the city.Soon afterwards the first ring of medieval walls were built.Maastricht is located on both sides of the Meuse river (Dutch: Maas), at the point where the Jeker river joins it.
The provosts of the church of Saint Servatius held important positions in the Holy Roman Empire during this era.
The Latin name first appears in medieval documents and it is not known whether this was Maastricht's official name during Roman times.
A resident of Maastricht is referred to as Maastrichtenaar whilst in the local dialect it is either Mestreechteneer or, colloquially, Sjeng (derived from the formerly popular French name Jean).
Maastricht painters were praised by Wolfram von Eschenbach in his Parzival.
Around the same time, the poet Henric van Veldeke wrote a legend of Saint Servatius, one of the earliest works in Dutch literature.