33) and a further improvement came in 1886 when Bradford Place was completed at the junction of Bradford and Bridgeman Streets; the cenotaph there was unveiled in 1922. 34) Also in the early 1830s Goodall Street was built between High Street and Bridge Street, with Freer Street running off it. 35) There was subsequently some development on the hill-top by St. Temple Street was built through to New Street in place of a winding alley apparently . Little Hill, the narrow foot-way leading to the church from the top of High Street, was widened into what is now Church Hill, and the market house at the foot of it was pulled down. Houses and shops were then built, and in 1855 Bridge Square (soon called simply the Bridge) was described as 'the centre and most strikingly beautiful portion of the town'. 38) About 1851 too the level of Digbeth and Park Street was considerably raised. 39) In the late 1850s two Russian cannons captured during the Crimean War, a clock on a pillar, and a drinking fountain presented by F. Oerton, mayor 1854-5, were placed in the centre of the Bridge. In 1879 the cannons were sent to Woolwich Arsenal, and in 1886 the clock and fountain were replaced by a statue of Sister Dora. 40) The railway, opened in 1847, helped to establish the new centre. It is a long symmetrical range with emphasized centre and end blocks. By 1974 it had been much altered, notably by the removal of the stucco ornament, and was occupied as shops and offices. George Street until the earlier 19th century) linked it with High Street by the later 18th century. 23) The inner streets of the borough were densely built up by the later 17th century. 24) The recipients of Mollesley's Dole on Church Hill and in Hole End numbered 526 in 1619 and 746 in 1661, those in High Street, Park Street, and Townend 516 in 1619 and 711 in 1661, and those in Rushall Street 580 and 784. He laid out Newport and Little Newport Streets, named after Viscount Newport, Lord Bradford's eldest son, and built 28 houses there. In Bradford Street, between Newport Street and Cross Street (now the lower end of Caldmore Road), he built a classical terrace of houses which Potter described in 1837 as 'very magnificent'.
Matthew's Church, its shaft continuing along High Street, Digbeth, and Park Street, its foot lying at Townend, and its arms formed by Rushall and Peal Streets. Paul's Street was built from Bridge Street to the new St. Most of Wisemore was obliterated by the technical college, built in stages from 1949 to 1969. 290) By 1971 competition from the new shopping areas in the town centre and uncertainty about the course of the projected ring road had led to the decay of the shops in Stafford Street. 291) Ryecroft to the east of Stafford Street was in Rushall parish until the 19th century when it became an extension of Walsall's urban area and was taken into the borough. 1855, nine of them fronting the street and the rest in 'a roomy court'. 298) The urban part of Ryecroft, having been included in the improvement commissioners' district in 1848, was added to the borough in 1876; a further part was added in 1890. 299) The cemetery in Coal Pool Lane was opened in 1894. 300) At the beginning of the 20th century a small estate was built on the north side of the railway on the site of the North Walsall Brickworks. 301) A council estate extended it northwards to Forest Lane in the later 1920s. A council estate was built to the north of Proffitt Street, and in the 1930s the corporation rebuilt the slums in the old streets to the south. 302) The name Bloxwich ('Blocc's dwelling') suggests Anglo-Saxon settlement, (fn. Although it is now largely a commercial street, many original redbrick houses survive. 41) In 1856 Lord Bradford's agent noted the decline in the value of property in the higher part of the town 'as the trade of the place has a tendency to follow in the direction of the railway'. 42) Upper Rushall Street had been described in 1847 as 'a third-rate street' where it was difficult to let houses as shops. 43) In 1855, however, it was described as 'composed of some good oldfashioned houses and shops and may be considered a fair business street'; Lower Rushall Street, on the other hand, contained 'some spacious dwellings, most of which, however, exhibit unmistakable signs of broken-down pride'. 44) The population of the borough township, which had risen to 8,761 by 1851, then fell and had dropped to 5,729 by 1901. 45) In the later 1930s there was extensive slum clearance in Lower and Upper Rushall Streets, Peal Street, Dudley Street, Hill Street, the Ditch, and Bullock's Row, but there has been little rebuilding. 46) An exception is Warewell Close in Lower Rushall Street, council flats dating from the mid 1950s. Clearance continued, and flats were built along the south side of St. The Digbeth portion was completed in 1966 and was largely the work of a consortium of local traders, Digbeth (Walsall) Development Ltd. 49) The Old Square precinct, designed by Birch & Caulfield of Walsall, was completed in 1969. 50) Townend Square, a two-level shopping precinct at the north end of Park Street and St. Bescot Farm at the end of what is now Slater's Lane also existed by the later 18th century. 217) The Walsall Canal was built through the district in the later 1790s. 218) Extensive growth came in the later 19th century, but there had been some building earlier in the century. 219) Chapel, Regent, and Oxford Streets had been laid out by 1843 in the angle of Old Pleck and Wednesbury Roads. 1850 led to a great increase in the population of the Pleck area, said to be over 2,500 in 1858 when St. The railway had been opened through that part in 1847, with a station first in Bridgeman Place and from 1849 in the new Station Street. 226) In the 1850s building-leases were granted not only in Bridgeman Street, Navigation Street, and Pleck Road but also in the new Rollingmill, Long (at first George), Queen (at first Earl), Frederick, Augustus, Henry, Weston, Brineton, and Wharf Streets. The last colliery, James Bridge, was abandoned in 1901. 1897, but sand and gravel were still worked on both sides of Darlaston Road in 1916. In Pleck itself Lord Bradford granted buildingleases round St. Checketts Street was built by Walter Checketts on land leased from Lord Bradford in 18, and Forrester Street was being built up throughout the 1890s. The roads now known as Birchills Street, Hollyhedge Lane, and Old Birchills also existed in 1763, and there was then settlement along all the roads in the area, including the present Wolverhampton Road. 257) Birchills Hall east of Green Lane apparently existed by the late 18th century; although part of it survived into the 20th century, by 1850 it was surrounded by pits and ironworks and much of it had then recently been demolished. 258) By 1770 there were many metal-workers at Birchills. 259) The Wyrley and Essington Canal was built through the district at the end of the 18th century, and Birchills was the principal area of coalmining in Walsall in the earlier 19th century. Building-leases on the Bradford estate in that area were granted in 1857, the later 1860s, and 1873, and also on the east side of Green Lane between Upper and Lower Union Streets (now Croft and Mary Streets) in the mid 1850s and mid 1860s. 262) Newland Street off Blue Lane West was built to provide new working-class houses in conjunction with the corporation's clearance of the adjoining Townend Bank area in the later 1870s. Peter's, Stafford Street, spoke of the pale and haggard looks of the inhabitants and the 'shoals of little ones at the entrance of court after court, making mud pies in the gutters or prying down the gullies of the common sewers in the streets'. 264) In 1886 the Anglican mission district was described as 'the poorest part of the poorest parish in Walsall'; out of a population of 5,000 or more there were only five households that kept a servant. 265) Although there was strong opposition in the town to the idea of reclaiming the ground at Reedswood, Lord Bradford conveyed 46 a. It also contained cash-andcarry warehouses and some light industry. 211) and contained a manor-house by the early fourteenth. 212) The area to the north between Darlaston Road, Pleck Road (formerly Park Lane), and Wolverhampton Road was occupied in the Middle Ages by the park and Walsall manorhouse. 213) The Pleck itself was an inhabited area by the 17th century. 214) In 1619 there were 16 recipients of Mollesley's Dole at Bescot and 4 at the Park. 215) The area to the north-east between Pleck Road, Wednesbury Road, and Bradford Street remained undeveloped until the 19th century, except for the race-course of the 1770s. 216) Several cottages had been built over the Pleck by 1763, when it was crossed by what are now Narrow Lane and Wellington Street (formerly Horseshoes Lane). 252) Birchills Lane, running between Walsall and Birchills and also known as Green Lane by 1763, is mentioned in 1559, and there was a cottage beside it in 1587. 253) Coal was mined at Birchills by the early 17th century, (fn. 268) and those in Dalkeith Street were built in the 1890s on land leased from Lord Bradford. 269) Neale Street was built in the early 1890s with the factory of Walsall Locks and Cart Gear Ltd. The area around Lewis Street south of Hospital Street was built up . The part of Green Lane north of Hospital Street remains industrial, with engineering works, tubeworks, and a power station; in 1973 derelict land by the canal to the north of Stephenson Avenue was reclaimed and landscaped. 275) The area on either side of Bentley Lane added to the borough in 1931 includes the Pouk Hill quarry. The King George V Playingfields west of Wallington Heath date from the later 1930s. 321) Since the Second World War several more council estates have been built. Those on cleared ground on either side of Alfred Street date from 1957 and the multi-storey blocks at the south end of High Street from the 1960s. 324) The Sandbank estate, consisting of three 12-storey blocks and one of 16 storeys, was begun in 1962 on a cleared site of 6 a. 325) Private building of houses has continued in the Wallington Heath area, including an estate laid out over the grounds of Wallington House after it had ceased to be a convent in the mid 1960s. 326) The area north of Wallington Heath to the boundary remains open country, occupied as farm-land (fn. In the later 19th and early 20th centuries there was coal-mining in the Fishley area to the north of Little Bloxwich, and there was a steam mill near the basin in the earlier 20th century. 336) Selman's Hill and Sanstone Road contain privately built houses of the period between the World Wars, and after the Second World War Little Bloxwich became an area of mixed council and private housing. 209) and the place is mentioned in Domesday Book as a waste carucate. 210) It occurs as an inhabited area in the earlier 13th century (fn. Pargeter, and Jessel Road and the north end of Pargeter Street were built about the same time. 267) The terraces at the east end of Bentley Lane were also begun, (fn. 270) Edward Street was built at the beginning of the 20th century. 271) More houses were built along Green Lane; Farringdon Street was extended and terraces were built there. 272) The houses at Bentley Moor, both council and privately built, date mostly from the years between the two World Wars. 273) The area lying north of Blue Lane includes maisonettes which were built in the earlier 1950s in Green Lane and multi-storey blocks of flats of the later 1950s in Burrowes Street. 274) The council was still rebuilding the rest of it in 1974. The playingfields on the west side of Blakenall Lane originated as a war-memorial playing-field bought in 1925; it was laid out by the Miners' Welfare Committee in the early 1930s. 333) It also lay on the Walsall-Stafford road until 1766, when the route was diverted to run through Great Bloxwich, and it had a coaching-inn. 334) There were 182 recipients of Mollesley's Dole in 1619 and 259 in 1661. 335) The Wyrley and Essington Canal runs through the area, and by the 1880s there was a canal basin off Fishley Lane. 1300 when it was crossed by the road from Leamore to Goscote, the present Blakenall Lane and Green Rock Lane.